Yoodley is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you get a notification that says ‘Update time zones’, it simply means that your timezone definitions were updated, and you need to update your time zones in order to keep up with the updated definitions. But why were your time zone definitions updated? Let us go through that, and then discuss how you can check or change the time zone on your computer.
Why were your timezone definitions updated?
Timezone definitions are generally updated owing to legislative changes brought in recently. For example, the U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005 changed the time zone definitions across the states of the U.S. and Canada, and later an appendix was provided that consisted of procedures that one could use to update the time zone definitions on their device in order to comply with the act.
Timezone definitions are impacted by legislative changes from time to time; it is, therefore, necessary to keep up with the updated definitions. In general, if you do not update your time zone definition when your device prompts you, your device will update the same itself when you reboot or restart your device.
If there have been more than two-time zone definition updates and you haven’t updated it either time, upon rebooting, your device will be updated to the most recent time zone definition currently available.
How Do I Check or Change the Time Zone On My Computer?
Depending on the version of Windows or Mac OS that you have installed, there are different methods to go about this. Generally, most computers seem to function on Windows 7/8/10 or Vista. So let’s start with that:
- The first step that you need to do is make sure that all your browsers are closed. If they are open, close them down and not just the tabs.
- Once you are done with this, open the Control Panel. If you are using Windows 10, you can find the Control Panel by searching for it using the option in the taskbar. If you are using Windows 7, you will find the Control Panel on the Start Menu.
- Once you have launched the Control Panel, select the Clock, Language and Region option and also assort the options by selecting Category in your View As:
- You will be able to see the Date and Time; click on it.
- Now you will be able to examine what time zone your computer is set to. If you feel that it is not set to your current time zone, you can easily change this by clicking on the Change Time Zone option.
- Just to be sure, you can also verify that you have selected to Automatically Adjust Clock to Daylight Saving Time. You can also check if the date and time is correct and make any adjustments that you feel necessary.
- Once you have verified everything click on OK. Following this, click on Apply so that your changes are saved and applied. You will see this button on the Date and Time Window.
Now, if you are a Windows XP user, follow the steps below to change the time zone:
- On the taskbar, you will see your clock. Right-click on it.
- You will see the option to Adjust Date/Time, and by clicking on it, you will be able to view the Date and a Time Properties.
- Click on the Time Zone tab and set it to the desired one. Here, you can also make sure that your clock automatically adjusts to the daylight saving time.
- Once you have made all the desired changes, click on Apply to save them.
For the Mac OS X users, this will be a little different.
- You will see the Apple icon on your desktop, which, when you click upon it, will take you to a window called System Preferences.
- Over here, click on Date & Time and then the Time Zone tab.
- Now, if you’re connected to the Internet, just check the option to Set a time zone automatically using the current location or else you can use the map to pinpoint the nearest city.
- Once you are done with all the changes, you can click on the padlock below that will lock the screen and prevent further changes.
Q. How to Change Time Zone on Your iOS Device?
Depending on which device you are using, the steps are different for each. The following devices use iOS to function: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook and Apple TV. We have already figured out how to change the time zone on the MacBook.
For those using the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch: (also works for Apple Watch)
- Firstly, click on the Settings app on your phone.
- Next, click on General and select the Date & Time option. You will notice that there is an option to set the time zone automatically. Make sure that it is checked.
- If you notice that there is a message saying that your time zone has been updated, you might want to restart the device so that you can ensure that the new time zone is applicable.
- If you do not notice any updates, you can try refreshing the Settings app.
- If you wish to manually set the time zone, you can do so by deselecting the option to automatically set the time zone and then select the desired one.
- If your Apple Watch is synced with your iPhone, the changes should reflect on it as well.
For Apple TV users,
- Check the Internet connection and make sure that the Wi-Fi is working properly.
- In Settings, go to General. Here you will see an option called Time Zone, and by clicking on it, if there are any alerts for updated time zones, you will be able to view them here.
- Make sure that for the update to apply, you restart the Apple TV.
- If you want to manually change the time zone, you can do so by deselecting the option to automatically set the time zone and then select the desired one.
Q. How to Change the Time Zone on an Android Device?
Android phones are generally easy to work with, and changing the time zone will be pretty easy for you. You just have to follow the steps below.
- Click on the Settings app to open it.
- If you are using a Samsung phone, you will be able to see the option called General. If not, you will be able to see the option Date and Time directly. Samsung users can access this option by clicking on General first.
- Here, if you have not selected the option to set the time zone automatically, you can do so. This works best if your phone software is up-to-date.
- Alternatively, you can manually set the time zone by clicking on Select Time Zone.