Yoodley is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Since it first launched in 2015, the Apple Watch has been one of the most popular wearable gadgets in the market. Apple initially pitched the idea of a wearable smart gadget that would help users keep in sync with their smartphones without accessing them.
These watches are packed with tons of features, including the ability to send and receive text messages. It makes staying connected with friends and family easy while on the go, as you don’t have to take out your phone to check and respond to text messages.
However, many users have reported issues with messages syncing between their iPhone and the watch. It can be frustrating as this is the main reason many of the users have bought it for.
This guide will highlight the issue in detail and explore its possible reasons. In the end, I’ll give you some DIY tips that will help you resolve the issue on your own. So let’s get going.
Apple Watch Messages: How Does It Work?
Before we jump to solutions, it’s essential to understand how the Apple messages ecosystem works across devices. The watch needs to be connected to the iPhone to send and receive text messages. With this feature, whenever you receive a text message on your phone, it will sync with your watch, and you can read and respond directly from it.
However, if the messages aren’t syncing, Keeping track of incoming messages is challenging and can be very frustrating, especially if you are used to texting through your watch.
Apple Watch Messages Not Synced: How to Fix
Let’s go through some common reasons behind the issue and solutions that may fix the message syncing between your watch and iPhone.
1. Check Your Connectivity
Connectivity issues are one of the most common reasons messages may not be syncing between your iPhone and watch. The Apple Watch uses Bluetooth and wireless technology to connect with the iPhone. A message syncing issue can occur in case of a weak Bluetooth connection or poor wireless network.
To fix the issue with messages not syncing, try moving closer to your iPhone or connecting to a strong and reliable wireless network. You can turn off Wi-Fi on your watch and try using only Bluetooth to see if this resolves the issue.
2. Update Your Software
Another potential reason for messages not syncing is software issues. If your iPhone or watch has outdated software, it can cause compatibility issues that prevent the messages from syncing correctly.
To Update Your Watch
- Connect your watch to the charger. Make sure the charger has at least 50% battery on it.
- Launch the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on My Watch.
- Tap on General and select Software Update.
- If there is an update available, tap on Download and install.
To Update Your iPhone
- Tap the gear icon to launch the System Settings.
- Go to General and scroll down to select Software Update.
- If you find an update available for your phone, tap Download and Install.
- Enter your passcode and tap on Agree.
- Once the update is downloaded, tap on Install Now.
Your phone will install the new updates and will restart. Enter the passcode to finish the update.
3. Clear Your Inbox
If connectivity and software issues aren’t the problems, the messages themselves may be causing the problem. If you have a lot of messages/MMS in your inbox, this can slow down or interrupt the sync process.
To fix the issue, try clearing your inbox or delete the texts with large files attached. You can also use system settings to eliminate any junk in your smartphone and watch which might be causing the issue.
4. Factory Reset Your Watch
Lastly, if none of the above solutions work, the only option you have is to reset your watch and iPhone. It’s advisable to factory reset your smartwatch first, and if the issue persists, do the same with your iPhone.
Before you attempt the reset, backup all of your data to avoid losing any critical information.
To Reset Your Watch
- Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right.
- After your watch turns off, press and hold the side button again and wait for the Apple logo to appear.
- Release the side button and wait for your watch to restart.
To Reset Your iPhone
- Go to Settings by tapping the gear icon.
- Tap on General and then select the Reset option.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings and continue.
- If asked, enter your passcode or Apple ID password.
- Tap on the confirmation option to proceed.
For additional information on troubleshooting, be sure to watch this instructional video:
Messages not syncing between your iPhone and watch can be frustrating. However, performing small checks and tweaking a few settings can help you troubleshoot the issue.
We remain confident that by following the steps outlined in this article, you can address the problem successfully. In the unlikely event that the issue persists despite your best efforts, we recommend contacting Apple support for further assistance.