Yoodley is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It can be annoying when you are playing your favorite game on Steam, and suddenly your DS4 controller disconnects from the PC. The issue is pretty common with both USB and Bluetooth controllers; some people complain that the controller disconnects after a few seconds of connecting it, and for some people, the controller disconnects randomly.
Why Does Your PS4 Controller Keeps Disconnecting From PC?
There could be multiple reasons why your controller keeps disconnecting from the PC. It could be because of outdated Bluetooth drivers, signal interference, faulty USB port, issues with controller support, or operating system e.t.c. No matter what Windows you have and what type of controller you use, by the time you will finish reading this article, you will find a way to fix the issue and play your favorite games without any interference.
PS4 Controller Disconnecting From PC (Bluetooth)
The connection issue is frequently faced by people who use a Bluetooth controller. First, we are going to explain the method that works in most cases; if it does not work for you, keep reading, we have also mentioned what to do when everything fails.
Even if you can successfully connect your controller to your PC, your system can fail to install Bluetooth drivers, so you need to make sure your PC installs Bluetooth services before the controller is connected.
Note: This is not a one-time solution; you might have to repeat this process every time you connect your controller.
Step 1: If you are using Windows 10, open the control panel, and look for “Device and Printers,” and click on it. In “Device and Printers,” find your controller and right-click on it, and select “Remove Device” if the controller is connected to your PC.
Step 2: If your controller is not connected to your PC, open Bluetooth settings and click on “Add Bluetooth Device,” press the “PlayStation” button and the “Share” button on the controller at the same time to turn on Bluetooth pairing mode. Once you press both buttons for a few seconds, the controller will start flashing light, and then your PC will detect your controller. (Don’t click on Next).
Step 3: Once your PC detects your controller, right-click on it and then select “Properties,” a dialog box will open up, select the checkbox “Drivers for keyboard, mice, etc., and click on “Apply” and then “Ok.”
Step 4: After installing the drivers, go to the Bluetooth icon in the system tray and right-click on it. Now click on “Allow a device to connect” and follow on-screen instructions to complete the process. Once connected hopefully, it will not disconnect again while you are gaming.
If this method does not help, try updating the Bluetooth drivers or download Bluetooth adapter drivers from the manufacturer’s website instead of the ones provided by Windows and repeat the steps mentioned above.
PS4 Controller Keeps Disconnecting From PC (Usb)
If you are facing connectivity issues with a wired Dualshock 4 controller, the first thing you need to do is figure out what’s causing the problem.
- Connect your controller like you always do and don’t touch it, just leave it on your desk and wait. If it does not disconnect, the issue could be a faulty cable, loose USB port, or controller’s port. Try plugging in the controller in a different USB port, change the cable or check with another controller. If you are using passthrough ports found on monitor and keyboard, try connecting the controller into a USB port of CPU.
- If you are using the DS4 Windows program, you need to install the latest version from Github. Make sure you delete the old folder of your DS4 Windows.
- Try turning off the DS4 of the controller and use it as a regular hardwired controller.
- If you have plugged in your controller after launching the game, exit the game, connect the controller again, and then launch the game. Changing or connecting the controller mid-game can cause this issue too.
PS4 Controller Keeps Disconnecting While Gaming on Steam
Some people only experience the controller connection issue on Steam, if you are one of them, you need to follow the steps below to fix the problem quickly.
Step 1: Open Steam setting and go to controller and then click on the general controller settings.
Step 2: Now check the controller type you have; for the PS4 controller, select PlayStation configuration support.
Step 3: Click on controller shutdown time and select “Never,” by default, it must be set to 15 minutes.
If this method does not work, try disabling the HiD-compliant game controller in the device manager under Human Interface Devices.
When All Else Fails
If you have tried everything mentioned above and still facing the connectivity issue, you need to do some more things mentioned below, and you might find a solution. We have tried to include all the possible solutions of this issue; if none of them works, let us know in the comment section.
- Make sure the controller is charged.
- Try reinstalling the Windows.
- Try a different controller. If you have Xbox One or Steam controller, plug in any of them and test.
- If you are using a generic USB adapter, buy the Sony wireless adapter.
- If you play on Steam, check if it happens while you game on other platforms or play a game installed on your PC and see if it still disconnects or not.
- If the controller flashes red light to alert you about high lag, turn it off by holding the PS button and pair it again after 5 – 10 minutes.
- If you are using DS4 Windows, open its settings, and enable ‘Hide DS4 controller’, then connect the controller before launching the game.
- Try a USB 3.0 slot if you are currently using a USB 2.0 slot.
DS4 Windows no controllers connected
If you are facing “No Controllers Connected (Max 4)” error in DS4 windows, uninstall and reconnect the controller. If it still does not connect, try uninstalling the Windows update. Make sure you delete the update after which you started experiencing the issue. For more info related to this issue, you can check this article.
Xbox controller keeps disconnecting from PC
If you are using Xbox One controller and it disconnects randomly, try uninstalling and reinstalling the controller drivers again, and if it still happens, you can connect and troubleshoot.
- Best Xbox One Controllers with Paddles
- PS4 Lan Cable Not Connected [FIXED]
- PS4 Controller Orange/Yellow Light [SOLVED]
- How to Join a PS4 Party Chat On PC
- [FIXED] PS4 Keeps Disconnecting From Wi-Fi
- How to Fix PS4 Turns on Then off Problem
- Why Your PS4 Controller’s Light Is Red?
- [Solved] PS4 Turns on by Itself