Yoodley is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apple has introduced a lot of new features in iPhone 15, including the new Precision Finding feature in the Find My app. Through this, you’ll get specific instructions to find the exact location of your friend who is also using any iPhone 15 model.
This is a handy feature, especially when meeting someone in crowded places, such as festivals, concerts, train stations, malls, etc. The details that will be shown on your iPhone 15 will be updated in real-time, and it will provide you with direction indicators to lead you to the person you are trying to find. It implements the same concept Apple already uses to find lost items and devices.
It is important to note, however, that it is limited to the iPhone 15 models, which have Apple’s second-generation Ultra Wideband chip. The feature is also limited to certain countries and regions.
Moreover, ensure your Location Services is activated in Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > Find My. Also, go to the Me tab and enable Share My Location in the Find My app. You also need to tap the Use This iPhone as My Location option to ensure that the device you are using is the source of your location and not any other Apple devices.
Meanwhile, you have to be following each other, meaning you have to share your location with that person. Alternatively, you can ask the person to share his/her location.
To share your location with a friend, do the following:
- Launch your Find My app.
- Tap the + button and select Share My Location.
- In the To field, type the name of your friend. Conversely, you can tap + to select a contact.
- Tap Send.
On the other hand, you can also ask a contact to share his/her location with you:
- On Find My, go to the People tab and select the person you want to send the request to.
- Tap Ask To Follow Location to send the request.
- If you are the one receiving the request, you can accept it in the People tab of the Find My app. Under the name of the friend who sent the request, tap Share.
If you meet the necessary requirements and prepared the settings mentioned above, you can do the following steps to use Precision Finding to find a friend:
- On your Find My app, go to the People tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the name of the person you are looking for.
- Choose between Directions or Find options. The former will let you see your friend in Maps, which is helpful if you are nowhere near that person. The latter, on the other hand, is ideal for nearby searching of the person. This will notify the person you are looking for (they have to tap Share to approve this), and your device will give you instructions to guide you to your friend’s exact location. It includes an arrow pointing to the direction of the individual alongside his/her estimated distance. You’ll notice that the screen will turn green when heading in the right direction.