Yoodley is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After disappointments of not having it at the expected and rumored release date, Apple has finally started rolling out the iOS 17.1 update to compatible devices.
It can be recalled that France’s Agence Nationale Des Fréquences, which was promised to receive a fix for its radiation issue via iOS 17.1, revealed on its own page via an announcement that Apple would be providing the update on October 24. However, the date passed without any sight of the update, much to the chagrin of some users. Thankfully, the wait is now over.
The update comes with a handful of new features and improvements across iOS 17, and some of them were already introduced in the iOS 17.1 RC:
- There’s now an Album option when opting to Photo Shuffle for your wallpaper.
- In Sounds & Haptics in Settings, you can now pick custom tones for different notifications, including ringtones and text tones.
- The sharing gesture in AirDrop or NameDrop gains a new setting option to “Use Cellular Data.” This allows users to continuously send and receive content when Wi-Fi is unavailable during an AirDrop session. It can be found in the Settings > General > AirDrop.
- The Music app now includes song suggestions at the bottom of the playlists through the new Favorited system. The suggestions show up to five items, and each one has an Add button.
- The Podcasts app has a new Remove Download option that can be accessed by sliding on the item to the left.
- The Action Button will no longer be easily triggered by accident. Apple injected new code into the release, so the button must be pressed longer than usual in order to work.
Aside from these new features to try, Apple also introduced some security and bug fixes in the update, resolving issues earlier raised by beta testers.
- Go to the Settings app of your iPhone.
- Scroll down to see the General section and tap it.
- Tap Software Update.
- The page will show the current iOS version of your device and whether the iOS 17 update is already available.
- Tap Download.
- To turn on the automatic update option of your iPhone, do the same steps mentioned above.
- On the Software Update page, tap the Automatic Update and activate Download iOS Updates and Install iOS Updates.
- This will install the update overnight while charging and you are connected to the Wi-Fi.
- On the page, you can also tap Update Now to get the update right away.
- Finish the required prompts to finalize the installation.