Yoodley is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Google Translate has often come to the rescue when language becomes an obstacle more than a medium of communication. But, has it ever occurred to you that Google Translate mostly offers only female voice during translation? So, is there a way to change it? This is what we’ll discuss further in this post, along with answering a few important FAQs.
Can you change voice to male?
Unfortunately, the answer is NO for Google Translate users. One cannot change the gender voice. This means that if your language in Google Translate has a female voice by default, you will not be able to change it. The same is applicable when it comes to changing the default male voice in Google Translate to female. Some languages in Google Translate have male voices by default, such as Italian, so if you want to change it to a female voice, unfortunately, the option is not available.
Why doesn’t Google Translate offer a change of gender of the voice?
Although Google has not been very specific as to why there is no option to change the voice to either male or female, the best guess would be that it is due to the fact that the Translator utilizes various modules of the program per language. These modules are only recorded in one language by either a male or a female in a professional studio, sometimes for hours. Recording the same module in both a male and a female voice is not only highly time-consuming but also makes little sense from a financial aspect. Therefore Google Translate offers translation in either male or female voice.
Can you change the accent in Google Translate?
It is an obvious guess that since you can not change the gender of the voice, you can not change the accent either. It is no hard and fast rule since other translators such as Siri do provide accents to promote diversity, but Google has also not yet incorporated accent-specific voices.
What you can do instead is hear different standard country accents in Google Translate by using the speaker icons in different Google country domain sites. In some cases, it was seen that even after using the accent marks, the pronunciation wasn’t correct.
The plus point is that you can change the gender voice and accent-specific voices in Google Translate’s Android version on your phone’s OS and Google Assistant, where you get multiple accents to choose from – you can choose between male and female voice for any language too.
Which language in Google Translate has a male voice by default?
In Google Translate, there are certain languages like Arabic, Bengali, Italian, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, and English (Australia), which are available in male voices. To find out which languages have a male voice in Google Translate, here is what you can do:
- Visit translate.google.com
- Enter the text or phrase that you want to translate
- Then click on the drop-down arrow in the right field and select the language in which you want your text to be translated
- On the box to the right of the screen that is the space for translated text, Google Translate will automatically generate a translation.
- Now click on the speaker icon to hear the translation spoken.
- To hear a different voice speaking in translation, you just have to change the language from the drop-down arrow and click on the speaker icon again.
This way, you can find which languages are spoken in which gender by default on Google Translate.
Can you change the Google Translate voice on your phone?
Yes, you can change Google Translate voice on your android phone.
Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Go to Settings
- Click on Language & input
- Tap on Text-to-speech output
- Click on the Settings icon next to “Google text-to-speech engine.”
Install voice data and choose whether you want a male or female voice from the options given.
Why is it that some Google Translate language text-to-speech is still so bad?
Various tasks performed by machines or software are based on algorithms and codes with which they perform the tasks. It may happen that a machine can beat a human at chess, but it yet it cannot do the same with language.
Google Translate text-to-speech or TTS is an engineering project, and for the engineers, even if the tool works with 50% accuracy, it’s a success, and they keep improving the technology to raise the accuracy rate higher for certain languages. But still, there are some bugs, deprecated functionality, and other issues which pop up, making some languages not as good to translate as others.
How accurate is Google Translate?
The accuracy rate of Google Translate might not be 100% perfect for all languages, but it is increasing, and engineers and technicians are developing Google Translate technology to make it successful and more useful yet handy.
In 2019, in a study, it was found that the results of Google Translate for Spanish were 90% accurate, and for other languages like Tagalog, Korean and Chinese, the accuracy rate was between 80-90%.
However, there was a drop in the accuracy rate for the languages like Farsi and Armenian, in which the accuracy rate was 67% and 57%, respectively. Therefore, it can be concluded that the accuracy depends on the language, too, apart from the algorithm and other mechanisms put into play.
Can you change Siri’s voice to male or female on an Apple device?
Siri is a virtual assistant that is found in almost all Apple devices. In the beginning, Siri had a default female voice, which the UN criticized and asked to stop making digital assistants female by default, and program assistants to discourage abusive or sexist language.
Now Siri has both male and female voices with six different accents like American, Australian, British, Indian, Irish, or South American. To change Siri’s voice or its accent, you need to follow the following steps:
- Go to settings, Siri & Search
- Tap on Siri Voice
- Choose the accent you want
- And finally, choose whether you want a female or male voice.
- What is Gstatic?
- What Is com.google.android.trichromelibrary?
- How to Stop Google Play Store From Opening When You Are on Other Apps?
- What Is com.google.android.trichromelibrary?
- How To Download Large Files From Google Drive?
- Can Google Translate Images on PC?
- How To Remove Labels In Google Maps?
- How to modify a URL to get a Google cached version of the page?
- What Is ‘Google X Enrollment’ Notification? How To Get Rid Of It?
- Google forms asking to sign in even though I am signed in?
- Why am i recieving Google verification codes from number 22000? (Scam or legit)?